Asylum Update 12th May 2010
12 May 2010
Internal Borders and Immigration Control: New Prospects and Challenges by Kesby, A. in European Human Rights Law Review No 2 (2010).
A systematic review of treatments for post-traumatic stress disorder among refugees and asylum-seekers by Crumlish, Niall and O'Rourke, Killian in the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease Vol 198 No 4.
Eurostat has released asylum statistics for 2009 showing the largest total numbers and largest per capita numbers of asylum applicants per European country.
Forced Migration Research and Policy - Overview of current trends and future directions – a new paper from the Refugee Studies Centre.
Designed to fail: A biopolitics of British citizenship by Imogen Tyler in Citizenship Studies Vol 14; no 1.
Captive labour: asylum seekers, migrants and employment in UK immigration removal centres by Burnett, J. and Chebe, F. in Race and Class Vol 51 No 4.
The latest comment and analysis from an immigration and asylum perspective:
- Election Reflections briefing by South Yorkshire Migration and Asylum Action Group
- What does a hung Parliament mean for migrants? in Immigration Matters
- Immigration and the general election: Did the dog bark, or didn't it? from Migrant Rights Network
- Margo MacDonald: Election won't bring changes to Scotland in The Scotsman
- What illegal migrants think about the general election - the BBC talks to migrants, asylum seekers and refugees
The British Institute of Human Rights (BIHR) has produced a general election briefing on party policy regarding the 1998 Human Rights Act.
Law and policy
Improving Asylum Procedures: comparative analysis and recommendations for law and practice, key gender related finding and recommendations – report on UNHCR research into the application of the Asylum Procedures Directive in selected European Union states.
New from the European Commission:
- First Annual Report on Immigration and Asylum (see press release)
- Action Plan on Unaccompanied Minors (2010 – 2014)
- Frontex General Report 2009
- List of joint return flights during first quarter of 2010 (source: Free Movement blog)
- ECRE interview with Michal Parzyszek, FRONTEX spokesperson
U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom: eleventh annual report highlighting "countries of particular concern."
Tuesday 25 May, 4pm: Researching undocumented migrants: the fieldwork experience - talk at City University by Professor Alice Bloch, co-author of ‘No right to dream': The social and economic lives of young undocumented migrants in Britain Part of ICAR's 2009-10 seminar series on researching asylum seekers and migrants. Email us to book a place.
Tuesday 1 June: Changing the profile of volunteering conference – London. Organised by the Network of National Volunteer-Involving Agencies (NNVIA).
14-20 June: UK Refugee Week with events across the country.
Thursday 17 June: Education without Borders: Community Engagement and Human Rights Conference , Bristol. One day conference organised by the University of the West of England Refugee and Migrant Support Hub. Registration deadline: 25th May.
Wednesday 23 June: Excellence in Managing Complaints and Advocacy in Services to Vulnerable Children and Young People conference in London. Organised by the Care Matters Partnership.
Wednesday 21 July: The New Immigration Agenda - developments in post election policy Immigration Advisory Service conference, London.
The Refugee Journey series of children’s books tells the stories of young refugees in Britain.
POST A COMMENT
In order to post a comment, please log in:
Not Registered? Then register here now.