Asylum Update 11th August 2010
11 August 2010
Strangers or Citizens? Refugee and migrant participation in local political processes in London report by the Migrant and Refugee Communities Forum.
Refugee advocacy and the biopolitics of asylum in Britain: The precarious position of young male asylum seekers and refugees by Ruth Judge. Refugee Studies Centre Working Paper No 60.
The Laws of Hospitality, Asylum Seekers and Cosmopolitan Right - A Kantian Response to Jacques Derrida by Garrett W. Brown in the European Journal of Political Theory July 2010 vol. 9 no. 3.
New from ICAR:
- new series on asylum and refugee populations in the UK starting with guides to Zimbabweans and Afghans
- Country of Origin resource page listing sources of information about the current situation in refugees' home countries.
Law and policy
Asylum Law and Practice, 2nd edition by Mark Symes and Peter Jorro (Bloomsbury Professional 2010).
New on family removals and child detention:
- Family Removals: A Thematic Inspection, January – April 2010 by the Independent Chief Inspector of the UK Border Agency.
- Refugee Council response to leaked Home Office report on alternatives to child detention
- Migrants Rights Network and cross-organizational statement
- Refugee Council briefing on recent developments relating to the plans to return unaccompanied children to Afghanistan
And on immigration removals generally:
- Two new wings opened at Harmondsworth Immigration Removal Centre (IRC), making it Europe’s largest immigration removal centre. See Home Office press release
- Campsfield IRC hunger strike coverage by local campaign and The Guardian
- ippr and Runnymede debate removals
The United Kingdom has received the first group of refugees from Bhutan as part of UNHCR's ‘largest resettlement programme.’
Saturday 25 August: Medical Justice Annual General Meeting in London.
Saturday 4 September: National Coalition of Anti-Deportation Campaigns conference and AGM in central London.
Thursday 9 September: conference on long-term residence and citizenship in contemporary Britain organised by Middlesex University. Venue: Hendon campus.
Thursday 9 September: Protecting Unaccompanied Child Asylum Seekers - improving local provision through multi-agency working conference organized by Westminster Briefing, London.
Friday 10 September: seminar on Research methods for new immigrant groups at the University of Manchester.
Monday 13 September: City of Sanctuary National Conference 2010 Birmingham.
Thursday 7 October: The Global Classroom conference to explore the role played by immigrants in shaping the education system. Organised by the NASUWT union. Speakers include Refugee Council.
POST A COMMENT
In order to post a comment, please log in:
Not Registered? Then register here now.